Getting on the JCU Dive Register seems like a daunting task at first glance. It may take a bit of work, but it is well worth it. Whether it's mandatory for your field work, or you want to be able to volunteer on other people's research trips to Orpheus or Lizard Islands, or even farther afield, the following information is designed to take the mystery out of the process.
All of the courses mentioned below are available through Go Pro Townsville, as is any advice that you may need, or answers to questions you may have. We've helped a number of people get onto the Register, and are happy to offer tips and suggestions with no obligation.
- Rescue Diver qualification or higher
Requires a Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment for "SISOSCB306A - Perform diver rescues". Currently qualified PADI, SSI, NAUI, BSAC, CMAS, etc Rescue Divers or equivalent need to complete some additional theory and water-work to upgrade their credentials. People who hold qualifications such as Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, Instructor, Scientific Diver (AHCLPW305A - Perform diving for scientific purposes ), or Commercial Divers are considered to have met this requirement.
- Current Apply First Aid qualification (within 3 years)
Requires a Statement of Attainment for " HLTFA311A - Apply First Aid ". PADI 's Emergency First Response First Aid at Work, Red Cross, or St. John ' s Ambulance Courses that result in a certificate of Attainment for HLTFA311A all comply.
- Current CPR qualification (within 1 year)
Included in the above First Aid qualification, or issued as a stand-alone Statement of Attainment for "HLTCPR211A - Perform CPR " when the annual refresher is completed.
- Current Oxygen Provider qualification (within 1 year)
Requires a Statement of Attainment for " 22100VIC - Course in Basic Oxygen Administration". This course must be refreshed annually.
- Current AS2299.1 commercial dive medical (within 1 year)
- North Shore General Practice (Burdell) 07 4758 7000
- Mundingburra Medical Centre (Mundingburra ) 07 4779 0622
- Townsville Super Clinic (Hyde Park) 07 44753 0888
- Sports Clinic NQ (North Ward) 07 4772 23440
- Number of logged dives
- JCU Staff & Students - minimum of 30 hours of logged (non-training) dive time signed by a buddy or guide/Instructor
- Non-JCU Staff & Students - minimum of 50 hours of logged (non-training) dive time signed by a buddy or guide/Instructor
- An Induction arranged by Mr. Phil Osmond, the University Dive Officer
- Location DC055.022 (Building DC055, Room 022)
- P: +61 7 4781 4729
- F: +61 7 4725 6990
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the above requirements or if you would like to book any of these courses.
|Go Pro | About | Training | Packages | Equipment | Resources | The Life | Contact||